A Dedication to Dave Knotts (1989-2020)

Photo courtesy Dana M.Bridges.

In my first post, a few days ago, I shared the official, university-approved, one-page summary of my Weird Western Maryland sabbatical project. I will spare you the entirety of the complete five-page, 2,400-word proposal that wound its way through the coils and recesses of Frostburg State University, but I do want to share its final paragraph:

When this project is published, I hope to dedicate it to the memory of one of my former Frostburg State students, Dave Knotts, who was 30 when he died in a hunting accident in January 2020. He loved talking to me about this sort of thing, and I vividly remember his telling me, with great animation, about a supposedly ever-fresh bloodstain on the centuries-old floor of the Tomlinson Inn in Garrett County, which he was shown as a teenager. Dave himself thought it was probably groundwater seepage, but as he warmed to his story, he almost convinced himself otherwise. I hope these topics energize my future students as much as they energized Dave.

Thank you, Dave, and thanks to all my students who have inspired and encouraged me.

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rail Victims Moved 10 Miles in 100 Years

Yule-Tree Vendors Played Rubes in Big City